Sunday, February 22, 2009

Creaseless, Longlasting Eyeshadow

Obtaining crease-less, long-lasting eyeshadow is like searching for the Holy Grail. It just may be a myth created by beautiful airbrushed models in advertisements. On the other hand, with a few helpful make-up aids, it may be closer than you think. Tired of creased oily eyeshadow that had lost it's luster at the end of the day, I began the search for a base. In the past, I have just used my foundation but it is insubstantial. Two products came to my notice in this quest.

1. Trish McEvoy's Bare Eye Base Essentials - This tiny round tube retails at a whopping $24 but it is so far my favorite of the two eye bases. It spreads on with a thin finish that dries to a powdery softness but does not flake. I have it in the color Bare which is light and adds brightness to my eyes. It says it can be worn alone but there is nothing dramatic about the color. The applicator is spongy which allows for even spreading but it is more difficult to feather the sharp lines. As far as our "holy grail qualities", shadow does stay creaseless during the day. However, color wear is reduced somewhat - not nearly as bad as without entirely but still not full color.

2. Laura Mercier Eye Basics Base - A square tube does not a different product make. Very similar to Trish McEvoy's, this eye base retails for exactly the same price. I received it as a sample so did not get the right color. Wheat is too dark for my transluscent eyelids. The consistency of this eye base is a bit thicker, probably with the intent of adding staying power. It does add a bit to color stay but with the thicker product, the edges of my eyes feathered, threatening to flake off. The product has not actually flaked but it doesn't look smooth on the corners of eyes. It seems then that you have a choice to make, crease or feather. Either way, your color is not smooth. I found that some colors of shadow covered up the feathering though.

Both of these products were incredibly alike, enough to make you think that perhaps they were manufactured in same facilities. I don't believe this is true. Perhaps they are relying on brand loyality instead of flawless results to sell the product.

My next product to try in regards to the Holy Grail of eyeshadow is Urban Decay's Primer Potion. In the meantime, the quest resumes.

No comments: