Sunday, September 11, 2011

Craft Shed Update

I hate to call it a shed. And when I do, people look at me funny. Perhaps the craft cottage? Or the inspiration zone? Invariably when people stop looking at me like I'm crazy quizzically, they asked rather hesitantly, "what crafts do you do?" They don't really want to know. They are terrified to know really. Well, to be honest with you, I haven't done this for years so I'm not really sure. I used to quilt and would love to try it again. I used to cross-stitch but I don't need a craft room for that. I don't scrapbook. My son and I often do crazy paper collages for school which would be cool to do in a non-school setting. I also write and while I don't need a shed to do that it might be nice to have a private thoughtful spot.

Here are the fantastic updates to the shed renovation!

The framing of the window was tricky. We didn't have the same type of siding as the original siding. So lines would not match and all sorts of cosmetic madness would happen. I was only slightly concerned about this because I am repainting the exterior a pale ivory to match our house. The light color would mask the lines around the window and the trim is covering most of the newly filled area. The trim to the left of the window on the edge of the shed would also match the house - a divine deep latte color. And the trim immediately around the window is yet undecided. I'd like it to be a bit quirkier than the residence which I've left very conservative. In addition, my husband's shed is next door and will have all the same paint but the latte color is very masculine so I'm going with it on all parts of his shed. And ideas about cute window trim? I've thought a Martha Stewart green (jadeite) might be cute. Let me know!

My husband sawing. Beside him, you see my shelf that will hang on the wall inside by the door. All sides are now up on the shed. I'm looking at paint colors for the inside. My husband also put up lighting fixtures and electrical outlets. I bought a track light at a garage sale for $3 (yes, really!). It is now lighting up the soon to be shelf area and my work space. I still have a space over the sink that is dark and dingy. Perhaps a chandelier? Crazy? Or just AWESOME!

The entire inside is a mishmash of unpainted and exterior paint from our changes and the previous owner's need to paint everything brick red - EVERYTHING. So I am lightening up with cottage white on the interior. However, I'm stumped. Somewhere I read on a blog within the past few weeks about the perfect interior white! I can't find that blog post! A trip to Home Depot was futile. I brought home four whites and they are all the same and quite boring. I'm also on the fence about introducing another color into the mix. There are 2x4's in places that could break up the monotony of white but I don't want it to be glaring.

The boring whites. And you can see I still need more lighting.

No comments: