Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tag/Garage Sale Finds of the Week - Givenchy and 1928

It was a strange tag sale weekend.  Usually I see things right away and snatch them up, but this weekend I stood in front of tables for several minutes picking through items before I found the goodies.  It was more like browsing but with curiosity.  I must have spent a half hour at one sale just picking through things both in the garage and out in the yard.  Another sale, I went back to the next day and picked around again!  But with dogged determination I came up with a few delights and spent very little money.

Look how LONG it is - Givenchy
My first find is by far the best.  I was halfheartedly lingering in front of a table at this tucked away lake cottage.  My husband was finding quite a few goodies but we'd been to a few sales and I wasn't really finding anything.  I am a patient person but it was getting to be bit bleak and it was only Friday!  The lady had some jewelry sitting on the table - various Avon pieces and unmarked vintage items.  Her sense of style wasn't bad but I just own quite a bit of jewelry so I'm picky.  Just as I was about to turn away from mulling over some vintage rhinestones in a lush copper color, a tag caught my eye.  At first, I wasn't sure but as I picked up the necklace off her hanger, it was confirmed that indeed this was the jewelry tag of one of my all time favorite designers, Givenchy.  It's so incredibly long that I had to photography it doubled.  It has open roses and buds alternating.  I did clean it before photographing but it was nearly in flawless condition except for some surface dirt inside the deep folds of the rose petals close to the fastener of the necklace.


I tend to prefer the vintage Givenchy pieces.  It appears by the hang tag that this may have been a parfums item but I'm not sure.  I love the squares in the circle logo.  I haven't measured it but it could be used for a belt except that it's incredibly fine and delicate.  Price for classic, versatile style: $1 (yeah, no kidding) 

1928 pendant
I went back the next day to get the rhinestone necklace and it was gone.  Of course, but again just as I was about to turn away, I found a beautiful contemporary pendant made by 1928.  Not a high price point, I like 1928 because of their classic designs and quality product.  Their jewelry can go with anything but is not so trendy that it dates easily.  It's hard to tell by my picture in the center is a star of olive glass cabochons.  The lighter green dots are sparkling rhinestones.  I wear quite a bit of green so this will go nicely in my wardrobe.  Price: $1. 

Coasters - Aren't they gorgeous?
It was a green weekend because I ended up at two other sales where I bought the linens that I photographed the necklaces on.  The cross-stitched backdrop of the 1928 necklace is a set of linen coasters.  I purchased the flawless set for a quarter each.  Price: $1.50 for six coasters. 

And at another sale, I dug around for awhile in a box and came up with the towel that I photographed the Givenchy hang tag on.  It is a beautiful linen towel with an Amish or German print with a boy and girl.  The design is intricate with bold use of green, yellow, and red paired graphically with black.  I just love the boy and girl holding the vase! (Down below)  I don't think that my picture does it justice.  Along with a 50's apron, bistro table cloth, third towel, and two pairs of still in the package/never used Calvin Klein hosiery, I spent $2. 

Vintage Style - Total $5.50

Have a Fashionable Day!

No comments: