Saturday, September 20, 2008

Recapturing the old fashioned sex appeal...Ralph Lauren Notorious!

The other day as I was leaving to work, I opened the door to find the classiest looking box sitting on my doorstep. As the gusts of fall have settled in, I have started to look to more complex scents - heavier and darker. Nestled in chic bronze tissue was a luscious dark chocolate colored box with crocodile leather texture and glossy gold lettering that read, Ralph Lauren Notorious. The perfume box alone takes your breath away because it is so sexy and luxurious. The bottle is simple, square with thickly curved lines and a black button top with the RL initials in gold. In it's simplicity, this has to be one of the more beautiful bottles sitting on my dresser now. Art Deco in design, I love smooth lines, simple balanced geometry. This bottle takes you back to the 30's and 40's, reminiscent of architecture. I have one other bottle that I can compare it to and that is Estee Lauder Private Selection which is also one of my favorite bottles. But I am skeptical about appearances when it comes to perfume. There are plenty of times that I have tested a beautiful bottle only to find the juice inside to be sub-par. Not so in this case. This scent takes me back to the old 40's perfumes without the highly alcohol smell. It is peppery, floral without being flowery, and chocolatey. It is familiar without being tired or an exact copy of other perfumes. It has more body than most of the current Ralph Lauren perfumes (I have not tried Pure Turquoise.). Notorious is like film noire -reminding me of something that Katherine Hepburn would wear. It is intelligent and mysterious. It is dark and sassy, like the fall line released by Ralph Lauren. But it isn't harsh and that's what makes it a favorite with me. I wear perfume around all sorts of people - twenty or thirty at a time and my husband has asthma so I am careful. With Notorious, I get a strong perfume (like my personality) without the risk factor that I encounter with others. By far this is my favorite Ralph Lauren perfume! Thanks so much, Arianne - this one is beautiful, sexy, and accomplished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the red-letter bracelet. So, so, cute!