Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Olympia Flea Market

This weekend, during the rare 80 degree heat, I visited one place in Olympia that curiously I have never been. Considering I am the first to love rummaging around in inexpensive vintage goods, it is strange that I'd never paid a visit to Olympia's Flea Market. But as my family and I were on a mission for salvaged building supplies to use on my shed project, our trajectory took us past the flea market when it was open. Excitedly, I made my husband park the Jeep. Entering past the hotdog stand, immediately my husband ran into a coworker who owns a stand in the flea market. While they were chatting, I discovered his bin of vintage photographs. It was a delight to pick through them. When I track down a scanner, I will share my purchases with you! This is almost like a mini-flea market but there were plenty of treasures to behold. I took some pictures but received odd looks from a few vendors so I kept the photography to a minimum. To be fair to the vendors, I didn't disclose that I was a blogger so I might have looked strange snapping pictures with my phone.

While rummaging around I found some things that I wanted (of course!) such as this dresser. Missing the front sliding doors doesn't detract from it's potential usefulness in my craft shed. The top is very grungy and could use a good cleaning. But there's a great vibe from this piece and despite the missing doors, it's a very solid storage cabinet. For the low price of $50, this is a fantastic bargain!

Hiding behind a trunk and tucked away, I'm not sure the vendor really wants to sell this adorable stool. But I want it desperately. Look at the turned legs and the adorable claw feet! In the claws, but hard to tell from my picture, are glass balls. I looked at it twice and even showed it to my husband. It's really high on my want list but $65 might not fit my budget. I wonder if there's room for negotiation. ;)

A little blurry but still charming, there were tons of different things at the market. From license plates to huge modern chandeliers, my son even found Pokemon toys for a quarter each. Oddities included bamboo ski poles, maps of the local coast, and a lock with letters for the code instead of numbers. Somewhere along the line, there may even have been a shrunken head!

Before our excursion, we fortified ourselves with pizza by the slice at Old School Pizzeria. As you can see, the guys are ready for adventure.

No comments: