Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Island Dreaming - Estate Sale Findings

It would seem that this weeks findings might be telling me something. Perhaps that I am in need of an island getaway. Many tag sale aficionados pass up tourist or travel goods. There tends not to be much market for there types of items. Again, I was rather slow on my estate sale cruising this weekend. My husband and I were taking apart a garden shed to remake it into a craft shed for yours truly! I probably wouldn't have even gone except that my MIL mentioned it and piqued my interest. So we ended up at the sale on the last day during the last hour. Not exactly prime time to get the best goods. In spite of this handicap, I still ended up with some delightful items.

Travel linens are my absolute favorite. This gorgeous red towel has the family tree for the kings and queens of England, right up through William and Harry. It's never been used and still has the sticker. Just a fair warning. I love to use these highly collectible towels. Sigh. I can't wait to hang this beauty in my kitchen! England is not exactly a warm island paradise but it's certainly high on my "to visit" list.

Since I had my daughter with me, we paid close attention to the antique clothing. We didn't come away with much. But what we did is just a lovely reminiscence of the Greek Islands.

I found this blue bag after the red one but they had been separated, as if some one had changed their mind about purchasing one. I adore the watery turquoise bag with it's summery boho chic. And my daughter liked the burlap, rustic feel of the red one (above).

They look nearly identical in their pattern but mine is a bit smaller and made from different wool fabric. The tag inside of mine has more Greek lettering which is completely endearing.

From Greece and England to the Pacific, this was a well-traveled lady. I came away with some goodies from Hawaii too. I love the ease of putting out disposable coasters. For a quarter, I scored a whole bag including some from the island paradise. And the goddess of fire, Pele caught my eye - a collectible from CocoJoe's. This gorgeous resin rendering of Pele embodies all her sultry sensuality. It reminded me of my honeymoon where we visited Kilauea, the volcano where she resides.

I picked up goodies from other island paradises, including an awesome kitschy Barbados rum apron, embroidered place mats from Sao Miguel, and a cute but sadly yellowed towel from the Bermudas. Now I just need a cool drink with an umbrella and some sunshine! Live fashionably!

No comments: