Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Spoonful of Honey - Featured Product Honees

I am starting a regular feature on this blog.  This means blog commitment so I hesitate to say that it's going to happen every week or every other week.  But I am committed to expanding this blog so here goes!  I grew up in a time of fads and fancies where living by the land was appreciated.  Big skirts and bonnets were popular.  Floral prints abounded.  That was simply the fashion.  The style of living was made equally simple with homemade goods and natural products becoming a consumer focus.  I remember a time when regular supermarkets didn't have a "Natural Foods" section.  My mother shopped at special organic markets or 'cooperatives'.  It was a strange time.  For years I didn't taste a Hostess Twinkie.  I grew up with no white sugar in my house.  And corn syrup was kept as a staple but I don't remember it being used EVER.  In fact, it had a layer of dust on it that rivaled a mud flow. But we did use honey in all forms.  I didn't sweeten drinks with sugar.  I did it with honey.  Baked with it.  Healed with it.  Used it for skincare and hair care.  As a result of this, I developed a passion for different types and forms of honey.  I will buy anything with honey in it.  But the reason I started this little feature is to share some of the great and surprising products with honey!

The product this week is my all time favorite from when I was a child; Honees.  Made in Italy by Ambrosoli, these candies are little nuggets of honey happiness.  Recently they became difficult to find in my town.  I used to buy them in the natural foods section of my local Fred Meyers but they stopped carrying them.  But thanks to Amazon, I have restocked my supply. 

For years I have carried a pack of these in my purse.  They are non medicated but when you have a sore throat, I find that they are a sure-fire relief inducer.  Featured at the right are the Menthol ones in the green package and the Milk and Honey flavor in the blue and gold package.  I don't currently have the third flavor which is the regular honey flavor.  On Amazon, a box of these goes for anywhere from $15 to $21.  However, you get a supply that will last you for months.  I give them out to my friends.  They make great gift basket additions.  No one complains at all! 

Honees are a great pick-me-up when you are hungry and on the go.  A total of 5 grams of sugar per drop and no fat, they are delicious and relatively painless if you can only keep yourself down to one!  My favorite of the three flavors is the milk and honey because it's softer than the others.  When you bite it, the milky honey just slides out on your tongue.  Absolute heaven in a drop.

No comments: