Sunday, January 24, 2010

Curing Winter Dry Itchy Skin Inexpensively


I struggle with itchy skin. More and more it is becoming a year round issue. About a month ago, I started a search on drugstore shelves for inexpensive effective treatments in and out of the shower. A wise person told me that your skin eventually gets used to the products that you are using and sometimes when that happens the products cease to be effective. This was clearly the case with me since I had been using the same lotion for years and my skin was no better off and in fact horrifyingly worse!

In the shower - My itchy skin flares up in the shower and it makes for an agonizing time so I started tackling it there with St Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter Body Wash. Made to sooth itchy skin, it does instantly bring relief to my skin as well as moisturizing benefits. But I feel amazingly clean after using it which cannot be said of all moisturizing body washes (you know who you are....scummy and greasy - ARG!). One of the best features of the St. Ives body wash is the scent. I open the bottle and my shower is transformed into a spa experience. The citrus scent is light and clean. I love it! No more itchy showers! The price is recession proof as well, running a nice, tidy approximate sum of $4-5 depending on where you purchase. It makes me feel better to spend less on a product that goes down the drain and still get a quality, natural clean!

After the shower - Departing from the norm again, I decided to try Gold Bond Medicated products. This can quite possibly show you how desperate I was to stop itching because I have always been turned off by their yellow, red, and putrid green packaging. But it would seem that the Gold Bond company has been thinking quite a bit about customers like me....you know, the shallow ones who want a bottle to look pretty. Sigh. I purchased the very simple, white bottle of Gold Bond Healing Lotion with Aloe. This is quite possibly the best, least expensive lotion I have used in years. It runs about $8 a bottle. Lasting 24 hours, Gold Bond Healing Lotion provides me with moisture and comfort with a light scent and pleasant texture. It is neither greasy nor overly thick. It's thick enough to stay in the places where I want it but not greasy where I feel like washing my hands after application. My husband does notice when I have it on my skin as do I but it's so comfortable to wear that I love it -and it doesn't seem to bother him ;)! Best of all, when I come home from work and remove my nylons to relax, I don't instantly feel like ripping my skin off. Soothing, Gold Bond has created a lotion that takes away redness, causes noticeable healing, and seriously replenishes moisture instead of just being a temporary patch!

Lastly, the lips - Don't forget those little but necessary kissable spots that get exposed to all kinds of winter wear and tear! I have several products that I've become hooked on over the course of the winter months.

Yes to Carrots makes a fantastic lip tint for those of us Fashionistas who are lipstick fans. It goes on like lipstick but provides tons of healthy, healing for winter dry lips! I bought the Christmas special boxed set and split it with my daughter. I ended up with the Chocolate Kiss lip tint which I use religiously. The frosty mocha color is fantastic, not too strong but perfect for a natural look. Plus it lasts longer than ordinary lip balms. There is no strong odor or taste which is perfect. I would prefer not to eat my lip balm. Good bye chapped and dry lips!

Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm - Being a huge fan of honey automatically reeled me in on this lip balm. The best thing about it is the taste. It is authentic honey flavor with healing benefits. I am always wary of lip balms because they make your lips often so moist that the crisp lip line for lipstick application is muted and it becomes easier for your lipstick to bleed into the finer lines around the edges of lips. But this balm does not do this. It is also long lasting and strong enough to last hour by hour stresses that we all place on lips - coffee drinking, snacking, kissing...LOL! There is no menthol in this lip balm so no cooling effect like in the other Burt's Bees balm that I am using. But to be honest, I prefer the warm honey to the cooler feel of the other balm.

Here are just a few products that I'm sure you would enjoy and would help relieve winter dry skin. I did have some blunders and duds during my search but luckily they were few and far between and it's best not to mention brand names. Keep warm....keep soft and cuddly....keep living beautifully!

No comments: