Saturday, June 20, 2009

My new Sak Crossbody Bag

I have to brag. After months of searching for a nice handbag, getting ready to commit to one other the other and then backing away because a) various design flaws b) the price c) cheap materials, I settled on the Sak. I shouldn't use the word settled though because that implies that I gave up something. The Sak is one of the most under-rated brands on the market, especially the leather handbags. Functional and beautiful, my persimmon crossbody bag is constructed of vibrant, soft distressed leather. The inside is a gorgeous as the outside with a brown African style print linen. The hardware (strap rings and buckles) is heavy, matte steel that does not overwhelm the overall appearance of the bag. This particular model is full of nifty surprises, including a flap that unzips and goes the entire length of the bag incase you want to expand the purse. I use it to keep my unmentionables and anything that I want away from prying hands. The zipper is gracefully accented with a braided to pull for ease of use. The flap does not buckle however I have had very few incidents where contents have escaped from the bag. The two front pockets are snug and the buckles seal with a magnetic snap. Lined with suede, they make nice containers for your cell phone or lipstick. Most handbags on the market currently do not have long wide straps which makes for difficult carrying. Tough to swing over shoulder while on the go, they rest on the crook of your arm or with a huge mass tucked up against your side. Neither ways appealed to me and with upcoming summer events, I knew I'd be at the market, in the library, on the go and in need of a bag that could follow me with ease. The Sak has a wide strap, long enough to (as the name suggests) put across your body without much strain on your shoulder. I tend to just toss it on my shoulder and go. My only complaint (and it's a very small one) is that the strap is not adjustable because I am short and the bag falls a little low on my hip. The most amazing thing (beside the appearance of this bag - it is truly gorgeous) is that I can always find things in it! Even when something does sink to the bottom, it's very easy to reach in a grab it. Shockingly, I could not find this bag on Sak's website. However, it is available through Nordstrom. It seems to no longer be available in persimmon but the saffron is just as beautiful.

No comments: