Thursday, August 7, 2008

Constructing ELLE

If you haven't yet seen the September edition of ELLE, you are in for a treat. In fact, I felt as thought I'd been sucked into the black hole labeled "Job Site". Jessica Simpson graces the front cover in what can only be termed a Lumberjack shirt. She has been poured into jeans that are probably at least a size too small (not to mention the shirt which has to be at least two sizes too small). Her giant cowboy belt buckle draws the eye down past her open shirt with a peekaboo look at her bra. There are so many things that bother me about this cover. The neon orange lettering surrounding her just screams "Construction Crew". If this is the new fall fashion, my garage is the place to shop. You can find me in there digging around for my husband's old vests and hardhats. The shirt could be cute according to my daughter if it had another layer under it. When did showing our bras come back into style and why wasn't I notified? If it is back in...I really need to update my negligee drawer! Of course, I probably need to do this anyway. The disturbing thing about the cover is not that it's Jessica Simpson (I have no grudge against bleach blond actresses/singers/whatever she is), or that it is rather hick/redneck - no, in fact, the worst part about the cover is that it's Ralph Lauren's label being grossly misrepresented. It does not look classy in the American Western way that most of his fashions do. It looks crass. The horrible shame about the whole affair is that the photo shoot is beautiful. There are some gorgeous pictures that could have been used on the cover. My favorite is actually the Ralph Lauren dress with the silver belt. It looks as if Ralph was on the set and directing the placement of the flowing skirt. And with a different font color, there wouldn't be visions of Constructicons dancing in my head. Elle, this cover was a miss.

No comments: